GREEK FISH RECIPE
Tsipoures Me Selino Avgolemono
Fish with Celery in Egg and Lemon Sauce
This Greek fish recipe is made using Tsipoures which is gilt head bream. You can also use steaks of halibut,
turbot or cod instead.
This recipe is not so well-known as other Greek psaria recipes, even in Greece.
The flavour is magnificently subtle and
delicate, the fish is tender and succulent, the celery surprisingly refreshing and the superb egg and lemon
sauce creates a distinct creamy, tangy, citrus flavor that will not be forgotten easily!
Fish is pan fried, celery is then added along with a stock and it is all then poached until cooked, making the seafood so tender and moist. The avgolemono sauce is then added to complete the dish.
Greek fish recipe is great to make either for a variety to a mid week meal or impress your friends with something
4 fish steak approx 1 inch / 2.5 cm thick
4 sticks celery
1 medium onion, chopped finely
120 ml / 4 fl oz / 1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
- Clean the celery, cut into pieces about 2 inch / 5 cm length.
- Boil in a pan with enough water to cover for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the celery from the pan and reserve the liquid to use as stock for the fish.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add all the fish flat in one layer.
- Saute the steaks lightly on both sides.
- Add the celery to the pan, along with 150 ml of the liquid stock used to boil the celery.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook gently for 5 minutes, basting the fish from time to time.
- Turn the steaks over, baste and cook another 5 minutes or until it is cooked.
- Once cooked, remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 3-4 minutes.
- Prepare the avgolemono sauce as per this recipe here.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the fish stock to the egg and lemon sauce.
- Then add the avgolemono sauce to the food in the frying pan.
- Do not stir, but shake and swirl the pan well for the avgolemono sauce to mix in well with the stock.
- Return to a gentle heat for 1-2 minutes to heat through.
- Do not let it boil.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
Kali Orexi - Bon Appetit
Return from Greek Fish Recipe with Celery for more delicious Healthy Fish Recipes